Off Premises Theft Coverage. What’s that?

Let’s say your car is broken into, and your briefcase and dry cleaning are stolen, or maybe your GPS or your favorite guitar. Claim it under your auto insurance?

The answer is no. Your personal property is not covered under your car’s insurance policy.  So where CAN you cover it? The same place it is already covered: your Homeowner’s insurance.

Off Premises Theft coverage is an endorsement that can be added to your homeowner’s insurance policy.  Your automobile insurance will not pay for any property not permanently installed in the car. With this endorsement, however, you would be covered for theft of  your belongings that are TEMPORARILY away from your home location. The limit of coverage is usually 10 percent of your property limit on the home policy.

Let’s say you are on vacation and your camera is stolen from your hotel room? Again, Off Premises Theft would pay for this loss, less your homeowner’s insurance deductible.

Not all homeowner’s insurance policies include this coverage any more, but many do and it definitely increases the premium.

You will want to ask your insurance agent how much this endorsement would cost you or how much you would save if you have it and if it were deleted from your policy. There are some package polices that include it as part of the form and, thus, it cannot be deleted. But most can have it excluded and it could save you a good deal of money if it is something you would never think of using.

If you have a good agent, they are always looking for ways to save you money on your premiums. We at Avalon Agency are constantly offering options such as this to our customers. If you live in New York or Connecticut, we would be glad to answer your questions on this or any other insurance topic. Just give us a call.

Avalon Agency is an independent insurance agency serving New York and Connecticut for over 40 years.  Our friendly staff is more than happy to provide you with free, no obligations quotes for all lines of insurance.  Please visit us at or call us at 800-676-4921

White Plains insurance Stamford insurance Greenwich insurance

Westchester County insurance Armonk insurance Chappaqua insurance

Bedford insurance Auto insurance Home insurance Business insurance



Filed under Uncategorized

4 responses to “Off Premises Theft Coverage. What’s that?

  1. Terry Nowzari

    My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find most of your post’s to be what precisely I’m looking for. Does one offer guest writers to write content in your case? I wouldn’t mind composing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write about here. Again, awesome site!

  2. Thanks for the compliment. We write the blogs ourselves, but please feel free to comment any time you like. We appreciate it!

  3. Les

    If you have more than one property, does Off Premise follow the primary? Do you need it on all property?

    • Off Premises Theft coverage endorsements usually offer you a limit of 10% of your personal property limit for theft only of your personal property while it is temporarily at another location. It is possible that a gray area exists if you move it from one of your own properties to another you also own. If you insure the other location, however, the loss would probably be adjusted under the personal property limit at that location.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s